Monday, 1 April 2013

Camp NaNoWriMo April 2013










Today is the first day of Camp NaNoWriMo, and the start of a new challenge. National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) ritually takes place in November every year. Participants challenge themselves to write a fifty thousand word novel in one month. The quality may be questionable, the morale may be low at times, but you can't fault the commitment of the NaNoWriMo troopers. I've never taken part in the event, though my best friend did it last year with concerning side effects. She became invisible, a slave to her keyboard, and ever since has been permanently addicted to writing. She beat NaNoWriMo though, and has an awesome t-shirt to prove it.

I know what you are thinking, no I haven't lost my calander or been living under a rock, I am aware it is not November. However the people at The Office of Letters and Light (the NaNoWriMo wizards) have caught on to the fact that people like my friend start getting withdrawal symptoms from the challenge around spring time. That's why they put in camp NaNoWriMo, it's exactly the same challenge but this event takes place throughout April and another during July. I was planning on doing the July camp, but I am pretty busy anyway in July and wanted something to liven up my april. I also have a bleak hope that spending time writing will draw me away from Facebook (which I despise the concept of more and more everyday).

So here I go, with one idea, and 50,000 words ahead of me! I've got several youtube playlists full of instrumental songs, perfect for writing, and plenty of teabags! I have found my cabin mates, a trusty group who are also casting aside their april in the name of creativity. I plan to blog or vlog my progress during the challenge. Good luck to any other NaNoWriMo-ers!





2 comments:

  1. When I did it in 2011 I had to write something like 20000 words in my last 3 or 4 days!! That's the really crazy part!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit my first day taget of 2.000 words hehe yay campers.

    ReplyDelete